- Micronutrients are vitamins and minerals that we need in order to function optimally and lead a long and healthy life.
- “Micro” means we need smaller amount these in our diets compared to “Macro”nutrients.
- The majority of micronutrients can be obtained through the diet consisting of mainly whole foods including a large variety of fruits and vegetables.
- It’s even more important for those on lower calorie diets to make sure their diet is made up of whole foods to ensure they are still meeting their RDA’s (Recommended Daily Allowance) of the essential vitamins and minerals.
- We’d highly recommend getting micronutrients from your diet but there are some, such as Vitamin D which can be hard to obtain, in which case supplementation can help to reduce deficiencies. You can also take a multi vitamin to “cover the bases”.
- If you are feeling run down or off then we also recommend you see you GP to test for any vitamin deficiencies.